Atlanta is home to many great public and private schools, some of which are recognized nationally for their outstanding results, student/teacher ratio and exceptionally high overall grade point averages.
It’s no secret that property values are connected to neighborhood school performance, so keep this list of top-ranking schools in Atlanta in mind as you search for your next home in the metro area.
1. Warren T. Jackson Elementary School has earned three coveted education honors. Jackson Elementary was honored as a National Blue Ribbon School, a Georgia School of Excellence, as well as an International Baccalaureate (IB) World School. The school values academic rigor as well as personal growth. It is located at 1325 Mt. Paran Rd.
2. Brandon Elementary School is located at 2741 Howell Mill Rd NW. As part of both the Atlanta Public School system and an International Baccalaureate Primary Years World School, it has earned three distinctions as a National Blue Ribbon School, a Georgia School of Excellence and an International Baccalaureate (IB) World School.
3. Morningside Elementary School has consistently scored higher-than-average test scores in comparison not only to Atlanta Public schools, but also Georgia schools across the curriculum for the past several years. Morningside ranked first among 51 ranked elementary schools in the Atlanta Public Schools District. The public elementary school was recognized as a Georgia School of Excellence in Student Achievement in 2011 and is located at 1053 E Rock Springs Rd NE.
4. Sarah Smith Elementary spans two campuses at 370 Old Ivy Road, NE and 4141 Wieuca Road NE. Founded in 1952, this authorized International Baccalaureate World school has received recognition as a Georgia School of Excellence and a National Blue Ribbon School. Student test scores are among the highest in the state for elementary schools.
5. Heards Ferry Elementary is another recipient of the coveted Georgia School of Excellence Award. With a student:teacher ratio of 15:1 and overall rankings in 2014 placing it above 89.8 percent of Georgia Elementary Schools, it is an exceptional place for kids to start their education. Heards Ferry is located in Sandy Springs at 1050 Heards Ferry Rd NW, though plans to relocate to Powers Ferry are moving forward in 2015.
6. Riverwood High School is an International Charter School located in Fulton County. It boasts an exceptionally high participation rate in Advanced Placement course work and exams (63 percent.) Riverwood High is also a participant in the International Baccalaureate program, and is located in Sandy Springs at 5900 Heards Dr. NW.
7. Vanderlyn Elementary School earned the 2011 Platinum Award for Academic Achievement from the Governor’s Office thanks to its very high performance in mathematics. Seventy-five percent of students at Vanderlyn exceed state standards in mathematics while 24 percent meet them.This school is located in the heart of Dunwoody at 1877 Vanderlyn Dr.
8. Chamblee Charter High School is one of DeKalb County’s oldest schools. Founded in 1917, accredited in 1935, and converted to a Charter program in 2001, the school was nationally ranked 215 out of 1500 best public high schools by U.S. Newsweek. Chamblee High enjoys the highest SAT scores of all Atlanta-metro schools. It is located at 3688 Chamblee-Dunwoody Road.
9. Oak Grove Elementary is located at 1857 Oak Grove NE in Atlanta. The school features outstanding performance and tests results, ranking better than 88.3 percent of elementary schools in Georgia for 2014 and fourth among 79 elementary schools in Dekalb County. Based on 2014 results, the average math score is 93.1 and the average reading score is 98.7.
10. Austin Elementary School boasts a high quality academic program, with 2014 reflecting an average math score of 95 and an average reading score of 99.7. Ranking third out of 29 Dekalb County schools, Austin Elementary is located in Dunwoody at 5435 Roberts drive.
The steady rise in economic performance means that now is a great time to buy or sell a home. When you are looking for Atlanta homes for sale, be sure to include quality of surrounding schools in your list of must-haves.
Image Courtesy of: Flickr